- 2 small bunches dinosaur kale, stems removed
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp mineral salt
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup golden raisins, soaked 10 minutes, drained, and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
Stack two of the kale leaves with the stem end facing you. Fold in half lengthwise and roll tightly like a cigar. Slice crosswise into thin strips (chiffonade). Repeat with the remaining kale leaves. Chop the cake strips crosswise a few times, so they aren't too long.
Place kale in a mixing bowl along with the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Toss well with your hands, working the dressing into the greens. Add the pine nuts and raisins and toss gently. Season to taste with black pepper. Stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator, Mediterranean Kale Salad will keep for up to three days. Bring to room temperature before storing.
Variation #1: sub 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives for the raisins and add 1 diced red bell pepper
Variation #2: eliminate the raisins and the pine nuts. Add 1 seeded and diced tomato, 1 diced avocado, and a dash of cayenne pepper. Jalepeno would be optional.
- To remove stems from kale, tear slightly at the bottom and rip it off
- you can "massage" any of the dark leafy greens to soften them and help them absorb dressing